One of the things I miss about Nannying for little ones is arts & crafts. I miss preparing for the craft – the shopping for supplies, the laying out of the craft and then watching the joy of little hands create a masterpiece only they know what it is.
In all of my jobs, arts & crafts has been a welcome and encouraged part of the job. I was able to create boxes of supplies and do creative outings and projects with the kids.
- Pom poms
- Googly eyes
- Glue / glue sticks
- Hot glue gun
- Popsicle sticks
- Construction paper
- Pipe cleaners
- Paint brushes
- Silk flowers
- Scissors – age appropriate
- Jewels / jewelry supplies
- Paint Samples on Paper (mostly free at stores)
- Pasta – all shapes and sizes
- Empty water/soda bottles – all sizes
- Muffin liners
- Paper clips
Recycled from around the house:
- Paper towel and toilet paper holders
- Yogurt containers
- Packing peanuts
- Foil pans
- Fruit containers – from grocery store, that fruit packaged in
- Milk / egg whites / half& half containers
- Egg cartons
- Old mail
- Rubber bands
- Boxes – cereal, etc.
- Starbucks cups
- Costume jewelry
- Photographs – old and copies
- Old t-shirts, clothes – old dress shirts make great pain smocks for little ones.
Resources to buy supplies:
- AC Moore
- Warehouse supply stores
- Oriental Trading
- Dollar Store’s
- Clearance sections of stores
Purchase large totes, or other storage that suits your needs and space to store all the supplies in. Label what is in each tote for easy use in the future.
- Ask family and friends to save their household supplies, especially when working on larger projects
- Shop garage sales! Another person’s ‘trash’ is another’s treasure!
- There are dozens of websites and facebook pages dedicated to crafts – supplies and projects. Sign up for newsletters, like pages.
- Explore Pinterest!
Here are some of my favorite examples of what you can find on Pinterest …
I know there are many other supplies and resources out there … What are your favorite must-haves for a craft kit?
by Kellie Geres, Regarding Nannies Development Team member